How To Password Protect Access Database
How to Password Protect Access Database in MS Access 2007 2010 2013 or 2016 – As we know, Database is a very important asset for company and its confidentiality must be maintained. One of the ways to protecting data is by using encrypting your Access Database. The encryption means using password to lock the database. It can prevent unauthorized user for accessing the database and minimize data leakage.
To encrypt database, follow these steps:
1. Open the database in Exclusive mode by going to File tab > Open.
2. In Open dialog box, navigate to the location of the database the select it. Instead of click the Open button, click the drop down menu > Open Exclusive.
3. After the database is opened, go to File tab > Info > click Encrypt with Password.
4. In Set Database Password, input your password, then verify it again.
5. Click OK and wait until the process done. You can close and reopen the database to test it.
Encrypt in split database
In split database, encrypting method is same like the steps above. But there is additional steps to do:
1. Encrypt the back end database
2. Open the front end database. Delete the old links, then relink them with the back end database that has been provided with password.
3. After you relink the tables, encrypt the front-end database.
Decrypt database and remove password:
1. Open the encrypted database.
2. Open the database in exclusive mode (Step #1 and #2 from Encrypt database steps).
3. After the database is opened, go to File tab > Info > click Decrypt Database
4. In the Unset Dialog box, type the password and click OK.
If you want to re-enable the password or change the password, just follow the encrypted database method above.
NOTE: the method above only works for .accdb file type, which means for version 2007 or later. If you want to set password to .mdb file, you have one of the choices:
1. Install Access 2003 and using Encoding and Password features (which already removed in Access 2007 and later).
2. Convert the database or move the data into new .accdb file database.
Originally posted 2017-07-12 09:17:24.
Source Tags: access 2013 password protect table, how to open access database in exclusive mode, how to set password in ms access 2007, password protect access database 2007, password protect access database 2010, password protect access database 2013, password protect access database 2016, password protect access database multiple users.